[ DIY DIGITAL BACK CASE: MATERIALS, SEWING & UNDERSIDE OF DIVIDER ]
Below is what I used, plus a thimble for pushing the needle through the dividers. A sewing machine would be quicker, so if you have access to one, it would be a simple job over in a few minutes. For small jobs, I tend to hand-stitch. Feel free to substitute with similar items:
Tamrac Lens Case #5341
ALPA protection cover #Mk II (a plastic/cardboard box would work too)
(2) identical small backpack dividers
(1) small piece of black Foamcore
sewing needle & thread
black cloth tape
white marker (if you choose to label it)
[ DIY DIGITAL BACK CASE: FINISHED DIVIDER, BATTERIES IN BOX & DIVIDER ON TOP THEN DIGITAL BACK ]
How Its Made
- Make sure lens case will hold digital back and batteries snuggly but not too snug.
- Measure the area between the folding flaps (usually has velcro attached) on the dividers.
- Cut a piece of Foamcore or similar to almost the same size, leaving about ¼” less all around.
- Take divider #1, fold its flaps down, secure it with stitches, and tape over with cloth tape.
- Take divider #2, flaps down; place divider #1 on top flaps facing up and opposite #2 flap side.
- Sew divider #1 on top of divider #2’s flap side, creating a pass-through underneath.
- Slide Foamcore into pass-through, creating a cushion for use between batteries & digital back.
[ DIY DIGITAL BACK CASE: LENS CLOTH ON SCREEN, ID WRITTEN ON CLOTH TAPE & FINISHED! ]
Putting It Together
- Place your backup batteries in the box.
- Place the batteries into the bottom of the lens case.
- Place the divider cushion on top with the black cloth tape side down on top of the batteries.
- Place your digital back on top of the divider cushion.
- Place a lens cloth on the digital back screen, zip the case up, and be ready to go.
- Optional: write on black cloth tape your digital back ID and place it on top of the case.
- Go shoot and have fun!